happy Leap Year Day!

Posted at 11:57

29 February 2008

I simply have to post today, even though I don't have much to say. After all, leap year only comes every four years. And by 2012 I'll probably have abandoned this blog.

Well, for the sake of saying something...

I heard on 99.1 this morning, in the car going to piano, that the 29th of February is the one day that ladies are free to propose marriage. From Radical Womanhood:


Today, I have the pleasure of introducing my friend, Erin Sutherland, who wrote a post for the New Attitude blog about the gospel and dating. You should note what is special about today, ladies! Once every four years, the tables are turned and legend has it that women are free to propose on Leap Year. As Erin writes:

Back in the 5th century, Saint Bridget complained to Saint Patrick that women were forced to wait too long for a marriage proposal. According to legend, St. Patrick set aside one day every four years so forlorn females could ‘pop the question.’ That day is February 29th. The tradition has found its way around the world; Scotland even made it a law in 1288—and any man who refused a proposal was required to pay a fine! The idea is: leap year can fix calendar problems, and ‘female proposal days’ can fix lack-of-marriage problems.




My brother's friend's parents got married on February 29th. I wonder who proposed to whom...

Correction: marrying does not equal proposing, so I guess that sentence is irrelevant. Please excuse the mind blip. =D

0 comments: