teaching

Posted at 18:16

27 February 2008

In the past few days, I've discovered for myself that teaching something is vastly different from just doing that something well.

How exactly does one convey how to be musical? It isn't something that can be taught. If you mimic it comes out manufactured. I'm sure by now my brother thinks I'm kooky or wrong in the head or something.

How do I show him that rubato isn't formulaic? It doesn't work like math!! AAHHHH!! Stop moving your body! Don't slow down before every other beat! Don't rush the eighth notes!! NO! You're marching again!

Of course it doesn't help that he thinks I'm scolding him when in fact I'm trying to help him.

And you know what the problem is? The problem is he's naturally musical, but he won't apply it!!!

I sound really hyperly angry, but I'm really not. I'm just really stuck trying to figure out how to help him.

0 comments: