unashamed

Posted at 20:16

19 February 2008

I came upon this verse in 1 John 2:

(NIV) 28
And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. [emphases added]

(The Message) 28And now, children, stay with Christ. Live deeply in Christ. Then we'll be ready for him when he appears, ready to receive him with open arms, with no cause for red-faced guilt or lame excuses when he arrives. [emphasis added]

(CUV (Traditional)) 28 小 子 們 哪 , 你 們 要 住 在 主 裡 面 。 這 樣 , 他 若 顯 現 , 我 們 就 可 以 坦 然 無 懼 ; 當 他 來 的 時 候 , 在 他 面 前 也 不 至 於 慚 愧 。 [emphasis added]


There are two things that really stood out to me: one is that we should be confident and unashamed when we stand before Christ when he comes again. The second thing comes before in the verse, but it's actually telling us how to be confident and unashamed. Continue in him. Live deeply in Christ. 住 在 主 裡 面. I like the Chinese version, because it literally says we need to live inside Christ.

I'm glad today, because I know that Christ is my Redeemer. The one who makes me blameless and pure when I cannot do so on my own. The one who testifies on my behalf in front of the great Judge.

I'm also glad because our grand piano finally arrived! Beautiful, though rather out of tune. I'm extremely relieved that the movers got it safely up our [apparently] narrow stairs!

5 comments:

sehwoo said...

Woah you have The Message!?! Traditional Chinese!!?

heh I thought I was the only one who actually *used* the Message.

(What's your grand piano from? Is it pretty?)

Anonymous said...

that's very encouraging, Serfy. I mean, sometimes it's much easier to live shallowly, deciding to run your life without really caring if you're seeing God's best.
Or, you live deeply, think deeply, philosophize deeply, yet you still aren't doing it for Christ.
Thank you- this verse really reminded me why i'm trying to live for Christ.

Serfy said...

I use the NIV primarily, but I like to read other versions when I want clarification on a certain word, or I just want a slightly different translation. The Message is good for putting things in a completely different light. And when I read in a different language, I see things that I didn't see before. Basically the only other language I can read proficiently is Traditional Chinese. I actually got the different versions from biblegateway.com.

Serfy said...

My grand piano is a 5'10" Boston. It's in a black satin finish. The grain of the wood is really pretty. But the size is a bit intimidating, relative to the room it's in anyway. It makes the room look really cramped.

Serfy said...

I totally agree with your second point, Art - it's so easy to gain head knowledge without believing in your heart. Or vice versa.